Friday, February 27, 2015

Thanksgiving 2014 (UT)


I flew out to Salt Lake a few days before Thanksgiving and enjoyed a good long visit with my long-lost Aunt Marilyn and Herman. We had a great dinner out where I got to meet my cousins for the first time—friendly folks, these Wilcoxes. I spent some time at the state archives doing research on the family history, and snuck in a quick hike in the hills above the city, before M and H and I headed out (on November 25) to the Golden Spike historic site commemorating the completion of the first transcontinental railroad. My great-grandfather, Hyrum, was one of the young guys hanging off a tender in the famous photo of the two steam engines meeting at Promontory. The working replica steam engines were in the shop for a major, winter overhaul, but the staff was more than kind to give us a personal tour. Herman, a retired engineer, was like a boy in a candy shop.

Kris arrived in time for Thanksgiving dinner and a chance to meet Marilyn and Herman and one of my cousins, Jeff, and some of the extended family. Much fun. From there, we went to mom’s on the other side of the Wasatch for the big annual affair with my more immediate family. I took a walk around the homestead and wondered about restoring my old Cutlass convertible before it shrivels up and disappears in the Utah desert .

Over Utah.







 







Just like new.

Stopped to visit my stepdad.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment