Monday, December 16, 2013

Kepler Overlook (VA)


This was another hike I found at hikingupward.com and it sounded like a good choice for a cool-ish fall day (November 10) for Kris and I.

41. Kepler Overlook: It took us a couple wrong turns to find the trail, but we eventually got there and suffered a not too interesting ascent to the rockily scenic ridge crest. It wouldn’t take much to improve the trail to the best view point with a nice sitting area contoured into the rock and I was tempted to give it a go right then and there. But lacking any suitable tools to flail around with, I conceded it would have to wait for another day. A quick lunch and a few pics later, we were downward bound, having chalked up another summit for Kenny Boy. Interestingly, the 1,200 foot elevation gain to Kepler put me at exactly (more or less) 50,000 feet and very nearly 180 miles. That’s an average of just over 1,200 feet and 4.4 miles per summit. Nothing superhuman about that, but hey, it’s exercise. I’d originally thought I might hit 100,000 feet, but a handful of itty bitty summits with 100 to 300 feet of gain are scrunching my averages. Guess I better lay off those.
Miles (RT):  6.6 miles; elevation gain: 1,200 feet
Cumulative mileage and gain:  179.9 miles / 50,000 feet

Finding the right road.

Atop Kepler.


An old furnace perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment