Monday, December 16, 2013

Sentinel Peak (AZ)

At the base of the letter A.

Above my motel room in Tucson rose tiny Sentinel Peak, also known as A Mountain, due to the giant white “A” plastered across its face (one of those college things). Coming into town after my dad’s memorial (below), I thought I might have just enough time to run up the peak before dark and thereby add one more baby summit to my list. After driving around in figure-8s lost for a while, I found the correct sideroad leading up the hill. But police had the road blocked and shooed me away.

39. Sentinel Peak: Early the next morning (November 4), my brother agreed to a drive up the hill before heading to the airport to catch our flights back east. This time, we made it up and I hopped out of the car at the bottom of the “A” and walked the last 0.3 mile and 100 vertical feet up to the top. Okay, it was a wimpy summit hike, but it was such a gorgeous morning I had to count it. I zipped down the other side to meet my brother and we scurried to the airport.
Miles (RT):  0.4 miles; elevation gain: 100 feet
Cumulative mileage and gain:  166.2 miles / 47,100 feet


Tucson from la cumbre.

No comments:

Post a Comment