Sunday, June 16, 2013

High Knob(VA, WV)



In keeping with the “High-something” theme, the third of my Sixty Summits quest would be High Knob, a moderate hike I’d stumbled on whilst searching the internet for possibilities.  I departed solo for this one late in the day on May 31st.  It was a longish drive over to Brandywine Recreation Area just across the West Virginia line, but a very nice campground awaited with plenty of sites to spare—and ample warnings about hungry bears.  The tent pad was perfect and I slept the night without a stir.



3. High Knob:  The trail leaves the back of the campground and I was on it around 7:30 am.  I borrowed a walking stick from the forest, which was used primarily for clacking against trees now and again, just in case (as an alternative to bear bells).  A very pleasant hike up a sometimes steep-ish ridge led two miles-plus to a fire road near the crest, followed by a short path then a few more yards of gravel road to the tippy top, where a fire lookout and outside catwalk afforded views in all directions.  For such a pretty hike and worthy destination, I was a little surprised that I encountered no one coming up as I descended the 2,100 feet back to camp.  I was packed in no time and on my way to the day’s second summit, Spruce Knob.
Miles (RT):  5.8 miles; elevation gain: 2,110 feet
Cumulative mileage and gain:  10.5 miles / 3,440 feet






No comments:

Post a Comment