Sunday, June 16, 2013

Seneca Rocks (WV)


My three-summit day (June 1st) culminated not terribly far from Spruce Knob (see below) in a fun trek up to the Seneca Rocks overlook, a 900-foot gain in 1.3-miles.  After some loitering in the visitor center waiting for a brief rain to pass, t-shirt weather quickly returned.  I empathized with the rock climbers caught in the mini-storm, having been there and done that a few times myself (though not at Seneca).  I had no idea whether the summit of the higher north crag was attainable without a rope, especially if wet, but regardless, I needed another good hike to finish up the day.



5. Seneca Rocks:  From the overlook, an easy scramble on dry rock led to the exposed summit and a great sense of being astride a giant dorsal fin.  The final few feet are very exposed so I did not go for the hero shot and stand on my head or anything else newsworthy.  The rock is highly textured quartzite (formerly a sandy marine shoal folded edgewise) and satisfyingly gripable.  It just might lure me back for a bit of climbing next time, if I can wrestle up a partner.  It was a fabulous finish for a triple summit day.  Only 55 to go...
Miles (RT):  2.6 miles; elevation gain: 950 feet
Cumulative mileage and gain:  14.1 miles / 4,490 feet





 

No comments:

Post a Comment