Sunday, June 16, 2013

Spruce Knob (WV)


In keeping with the “something-Knob” theme, and also with a secondary interest in eventually attaining a whole bunch of state highpoints, I planned my day (June 1st) to include both High Knob (below) and Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia.  Nothing heroic about this one, however, since a paved road ascends to within three hundred yards of the top.


4. Spruce Knob:  To make a tiny bit more of a hike out of it, I first ventured down the Huckleberry Trail a short distance, snapped a picture of an odd blade of rock sticking out of the ground, then hiked back up, which gave me license to pretend that I had actually done something with my feet.  Nevertheless, the hike across the broad summit of Spruce Knob is sub-alpine (more sub than alpine) and quite scenic.  The weather was perfect.  The wide gravel path leads past rocky clearings to a view tower and a nature loop, which offers better views and should not be missed.  Yes, it was an easy (I won’t say sissy) hike/stroll/amble/ramble/cavort, but after careful review I determined that I must count it as one of the Sixty, being how purdy it was.  I soon departed for my third summit of the day.
Miles (RT):  1.0 mile; elevation gain: 100 feet
Cumulative mileage and gain:  11.5 miles / 3,540 feet






 

No comments:

Post a Comment