Friday, October 18, 2013

Furnace and Turk (VA)


A sunny summer Saturday in September (14th) I sauntered off to Shenandoah for a couple of summit hikes near the south end of the park. Despite the longish drive, it was a fine outing and a chance to knock off a summit I’d missed out on in April 2011 (Furnace Mountain). Plus, the easy jaunt up Turk Mountain would end with one of the nicer summit views in the park.

24. Furnace Mountain: I planned my drive down the west side of the range where I could pick up the Furnace trail at the same trailhead I visited with the Wanderbirds during that 2011 hike up nearby Austin Mountain. The trail climbed comfortably in pretty forest and bright morning light. Not far up the path, I passed the biggest pile of bear scat I’ve seen out east, still fresh and rife with berries. Having borrowed Kris’s trekking poles due to my bum knee, I rapped them on the rocks occasionally to warn my ursine friend that I was heading up for a visit. But the bear never showed him/herself, so I continued on to the little rock outcrop near the summit for some minor munching and a view across Madison Run to Austin Mountain before retracing my steps to the car.
Miles (RT):  4.7 miles; elevation gain: 1,300 feet
Cumulative mileage and gain:  112.2 miles / 31,750 feet


One big bear dropping!

Austin Mountain from Furnace overlook.



25. Turk Mountain: From Furnace Mountain, I drove south to Waynesboro, thence eastward to the southern park entrance at Rockfish Gap and north a few miles to the Turk Mountain trailhead. The hike briefly followed the AT, then broke right to descend 100 feet or so, before regaining that and another 300 feet to the giant talus pile at the top. The ledges and tumbled boulders offered plenty of great spots to laze and enjoy the excellent view.
Miles (RT):  2.2 miles; elevation gain: 500 feet
Cumulative mileage and gain:  114.4 miles / 32,250 feet

Turk Mountain from Skyline Drive.
 
 
Black vulture checking me out.
 
View from the summit.
 
 
Early fall color.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment