Sunday, May 19, 2013

Back to the W&OD (VA)



View from the new bike bridge over the Beltway.

The W&OD Trail beckoned again in January, since I’d still only pedaled the first six miles of its 45-mile length.  The railtrail begins near the Four Mile Trail in Shirlington VA, and extends westward through a number of communities, ending in Purcellville VA.  I chose a 15-mile section from the Custis Trail out past Vienna as my main adventure for the day.  Starting from home, the roundtrip distance was about 40 miles.  I snapped a shot of the caboose at Vienna and a mural nearby, but was so enamored with the bike bridge over the infamous Beltway, I forgot to shoot other pics of the trail.  But what a bridge.  Completed in June 2011, it spans an amazing 17 lanes of traffic.





No comments:

Post a Comment