Friday, January 31, 2014

Big Bend National Park (TX)

On the way to Emory Peak, looking back at Casa Grande.

52. Emory Peak: Another cold night and brilliant moon at Big Bend was followed by a perfectly sunny day that warmed half way into morning. I’d decided to head out early to make the 12.6-mile loop out to the South Rim, one of the park’s classic hikes. I would also add the 3.2-mile side trip up Emory Peak, the highest in the park, plus some minor off-trail wandering to total 16 miles and about 3,200 feet of elevation gain. I hiked in via Pinnacles and Boot Canyon Trails and returned via the Laguna Meadow Trail. Half way up to the saddle, I passed a heavyset fellow who looked much younger than I and who seemed to be huffing more than he was puffing. I bid him well, quietly hoping his heart would hold out long enough to enjoy the promised views ahead.

The first half of the loop is a splendid trek through gorgeous terrain past a large rock tower shaped like a cowboy boot (it had to be in Texas) to a million dollar view of Mexico from the rim. I could have sat and stared for hours. The sidetrip to Emory was also exceptional. The exposed summit rocks were exciting enough (class 2-3) and well worth the extra push, even if a radio transmitter and solar PV panel kinda mucked things up at the apex. On the way down from the peak, I passed my hefty friend, still truckin’ and aiming for the summit. He confided with a smile that “Climbing Emory was probably the last thing a 320-pound man should doing on his vacation.” As far as I know, he made it too, since he was getting pretty darned close at that point. I made a good trek myself that day, but I think I was outdone by the big guy.
Miles (RT):  16.0 miles; elevation gain: 3,200 feet
Cumulative mileage and gain:  250.4 miles / 64,850 feet





Zoomed shot back to camp.

Emory's summit scramble.

The boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment