Sunday, January 5, 2014

Big Ridge and Cranny Crow (WV)

Cranny Crow Overlook.

On December 28th, Kris had to work so I took advantage of another gorgeous day off and raced over to Lost River State Park just inside West Virginia and not all that far from DC. The trail up Big Ridge reached a high point with a fire tower, though it was inaccessible—perhaps too rickety for public use. Lower down, an overlook called Cranny Crow also caught my interest and offered a nice loop.

49. Big Ridge and Cranny Crow: Once I found the park, it took some figuring to determine where the trailhead was, since the directions I found online weren’t entirely clear. The park’s visitor center had just opened minutes earlier and the kind woman behind the counter was quick to set me straight and hand me a trail map. The hike was quite enjoyable, I thought, with several overlooks, historic homestead, the impressive tower and an old cabin at the top. Cranny Crow, was the best stop though, with an aesthetically pleasing rock shelter looking out over Duck Hollow and the surrounding hills. Who knows how the name came about? I imagine someone seeing a crow in a cranny in the rocks and sayin’ hey, lookie dat! It’s a cranny crow! Fun place. And a nice hike to end on for 2013.
Miles (RT):  6.4 miles; elevation gain: 1,500 feet
Cumulative mileage and gain:  222.2 miles / 58,550 feet






Gorgeous winter day.

At Cranny Crow.






Summit tower.

The actual summit.

1830s cabin.


Cool blade of rock, same as Seneca Rocks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment