Saturday, December 20, 2014

Ptarmigan Ridge (WA)

Jim contemplating a swim.

Two days after my sojourn to Mount Rainier (below), a couple of hiking buddies  (Jim and Steve) and I wandered out the sky-kissing Ptarmigan Ridge Trail. The Ptarmigan is one of those idyllic high ridge-walks with nonstop views and relatively little elevation gain. The icy Mount Baker volcano dominates to the west and stalwart Mount Shuksan looms to the east. It’s one of those places you can point your camera with your eyes closed and shoot calendar shots every time.
Jim and I rambled over to a large tarn glimmering turquoise with glacial silt, passing a picture perfect campsite along the way. While Jim sought out a few calendar shots, I made a brief attempt to summit Coleman Pinnacle, which I’d been up a couple of decades ago. But I picked the wrong line and got turned back by ground that was a whole lot steeper than it looked from below. I figured it was better to live and learn than die and remain stupid, so I backed down like a timid kitten backing down a tree trunk. Nevertheless, we had a fabulous guy time over ten miles of walking. There was icing on the cake when we spotted a small herd of mountain goats on the way back to the car. Definitely five stars for this one.




Steve and Jim, dwarfed by big mountain.

Coleman Pinnacle, shoulda stayed left.


The iciest volcano in Lower 48.


Hey Ma, don't eat the yellow snow.

Back to the rental car. Gas gauge on E, but we made it.

Mount Shuksan.

No comments:

Post a Comment