Sunday, July 28, 2013

Flat Rock (PA)

 

On track for summit #14 of the big Sixty, I headed north to south-central Pennsylvania mid-day Friday (July 26) for some leisurely peak bagging.  I stumbled on the hike whilst searching around for destinations in the general vicinity of Pennsylvania’s state high point, Mount Davis (above).

14.  Flat Rock:  The trail to the top gains about 1,200 feet in 2.2 miles and departs from a state park campground—perfect.  I arrived at Colonel Denning State Park near Newville in time to pitch the tent and still hit the trail by 5 pm.  A sign at the trailhead about our native cute and cuddly rattlesnakes and how harmless they can be until you step on one, had me staring at my footsteps most of the way up.  After a steep start, the trail eased off at a hollow and ended as an easy stroll up to the stony overlook.
Miles (RT):  4.4 miles; elevation gain: 1,200 feet
Cumulative mileage and gain:  68.3 miles / 19,720 feet
This less precipitous section had nice footholds.

I rated this rock pitch a 1.10c.

No comments:

Post a Comment