Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Narrows, Zion National Park (UT)


With a day to spare on the way to mom’s house in Myton, Utah, I paused at Zion National Park, one of my favorite places on the Third Rock.  After a hard hike up Humphreys Peak near Flagstaff, a leisurely stroll up the river seemed to be the ticket.  At the Mt. Carmel Tunnel, I parked and made the short, but spectacular hike out to the Canyon Overlook, then headed down to the visitor center to catch the shuttle upriver.









I had yet to explore the Narrows in my many prior visits to the park.  So with a veritable throng of others similarly compelled, we splashed our way up the Virgin River on a perfect summer day (June 29).  I thought the crowds might diminish a couple miles in, but the humanity remained sufficiently dense all the way to Wall Street (the narrowing of the Narrows).  Beyond, the numbers did fall off some and I enjoyed a pleasant lunch by myself atop a giant boulder.  Half way back to the start, a thunderstorm moved in and by the time I was out of the gorge, the mini-storm was booming off the walls and raining kittens and puppies—not enough to pose a flash-flood threat, fortunately.  Kris, who loves the feel of warm feet in cool water, will love this river, I thought.  Next time, we’ll have to do the whole, two-day enchilada together from the top.















No comments:

Post a Comment