Sunday, July 21, 2013

Mount Marshall (VA)


With a weekend DC forecast in the high-90s and thunderstorms likely, Shenandoah National Park was once again on the radar.  I headed out around noon (July 20) and aimed for Mount Marshall, named for the fourth Chief Justice, John Marshall.  Marshall is one of the northerly summits of the park and not horribly remote from the big metropolis.  A bonus was Marshall's south summit, which is just a few feet lower than the north--and good enough for a two-fer in my quest for 60 new peaks this year.  It was only about a five-mile out-and-back skedaddle, but 1,000 feet of gain meant it wasn't just a walk in the park either.  No wait, it was a walk in the park.  The temp was in the low-80s, providing significant relief from the sweltering washrag heat of DC in July.



12. Mount Marshall - south summit:  There is not much to say about a simple hike in the woods like this one, other than I started at Gravel Springs Gap on Skyline Drive and marched north on the A.T.  Below the top, I paused at a picture-perfect outcrop with a view of the mountains and valleys surrounding the park.  After a deep breath of clear and warm Virginia air, I continued up in search of the actual summit about a mile from the start.  I couldn't find it.  The gently rounded ridge has a few lumps and bumps here and there, but nothing sufficiently prominent to call the true summit.  I wandered on and began descending the other side.  My trek would bring me back the same way, so I decided I'd survey for the summit later.

13. Mount Marshall - north summit:  Descending from the south summit led me back to Skyline Drive, which is crossed to pick up the A.T. continuing on to the north summit.  A short, moderately steep hike wound past a rock pillar with a scrabble trail around the back and up to the apex for another photo and a gulp from the water bottle.  A short distance beyond was, yet again, another classic outcrop with a wide view, and not far above that, a craggy hump of rock about 20 yards off the trail that appeared to be the actual top.  I hopped over and, sure enough, a brass benchmark reading "Marshall 1933" was fixed to the rock.  After a short rest, I reversed course and headed down, or rather down and up to the south summit, which I determined must be a minor hump of rock rubble under a bush.  I foot my foot on it and called it good.

Miles (RT):  4.8 miles; elevation gain: 1,030 feet (both peaks)
Cumulative mileage and gain:  56.9 miles / 18,520 feet





This is supposed to be a 1 and a 3, a dyslectic 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment