Friday, January 4, 2013

Colorado snow (CO)

May in the Rockies
In late May 2011, I landed for a few days at a conference in Breckenridge CO.  At close to 10,000 feet above sea level, we weren’t surprised, of course, to be surrounded by snowy mountains or flurried upon during the week.  It wasn’t particularly cold and the sunshine powered through when we needed it.  Other than some enjoyable wandering around town (this place must be a total zoo in ski season), the only little trek I managed was up a forest road with a couple I’d just met.  The man I encountered at the Denver airport while we waited for the same shuttle van.  He was reading Born to Run, which was already on my book list (I read it later, fun read).  He and his wife picked me up, we wandered upward till we started post-holing in the snow, ate a snack then headed back down for a nice dinner in town.  Uneventful, but a mini-tantalizer for summer trips to come into the higher Rockine country above (14,000’ or bust!).  I lost the fellow’s business card, but he and his wife were headed for Argentina in January 2012 to climb Aconcagua, the highest peak in the Americas.  I’ve had my sights on that one as well and wished I could join them.  Alas, another day…

No comments:

Post a Comment