Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hike and Drive - Rocky Mountain National Park (CO)

Elk near the high point of the drive.
On Sunday (June 10, 2012), I was up early again and hit the Trail Ridge Road in the low morning light.  After a quick stroll through the Alluvial Fan and a photo stop at Many Parks Curve, I continued the lovely drive up to the Alpine Visitor Center, hitting a few other stop-and-gawks along the way.  There was eye candy everywhere, though I was struck by the relative dearth of hiking trails in all this majestic open country.  Not that the place needed to be redeveloped for my own entertainment, I just would have expected more trails to have evolved here over the eight decades since the road was built.  I wandered the shorter ones and pledged to come back again to backpack some of the longer routes.  I’d also been eyeing Long’s Peak the day before, so that will remain high on the list as well.

The next day, I had an afternoon plane to catch in Denver, so I retraced my skid marks past the Alpine Visitor Center and down to the Colorado River, where I managed a stroll along the tiny river hoping to see a moose.  The moose materialized later on the drive south.  Tourists by the dozens ignored all the rules and bounded across the meadows on a quest for the perfect photo of Madam Moose, perhaps not realizing how dangerous these noble giants can be.  I motored on and said ‘so long’ to the park with a short walk to Adams Falls near Grand Lake.


The mighty Colorado River, nearly a foot deep.

Moosing. 


Adams Falls.




No comments:

Post a Comment