Thursday, January 31, 2013

Smithsonian Air and Space

I’ve been to the Air and Space museum more than a dozen times by now, but since my dad passed away, I had wanted to return and take another look at the cubby-hole airplane workshop display behind the Lockheed Vega that Amelia Earhart flew solo across the Atlantic.  The sign above the cubby hole reads “Don’s Air Service.”  My dad called his airplane service business “Don’s Flying Machines.”  I’d hoped to get him out to DC one day to see the display for himself, as well as the rest of the museum, including the annex at Dulles Airport, but no such luck.  He spent his life building boats and restoring airplanes and certainly would have gotten a big kick out of all the famous flyers hanging from the ceilings.








No comments:

Post a Comment