Saturday, January 5, 2013

Thanksgiving at Death Valley N.P. (CA)

On the Gower Gulch Loop.
At Thanksgiving, I flew solo to AZ and UT to visit family.  Having missed a bus connection between my two destinations, and with a snowstorm brewing in the mountains between there and mom’s house, I found myself stranded in Vegas with a few days to spare.  So I grabbed a rental car and raced off to Death Valley and nearby Ridgecrest, CA (see above).  Besides some general loitering around the park in 80+ degree sunshine, I added two very cool hikes to my Southwest repertoire: the Fall Canyon Narrows and Gower Gulch Loop.  The pics barely hint at how gorgeous these places are.  Check ‘em out next time you’re in the zone.  I celebrated Turkey Day with a burger and brew at the bar at Furnace Creek Ranch before heading back to my campsite, where I enjoyed a good deep sleep on top of a picnic table under a billion bright stars.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment